Sunday, January 14, 2007

The country mice return


The only garden-related news I have from Noo Yawk (minHATTun) is daffodils in Gramercy Park and full-ish, unopened cherry blossoms in Chelsea.

The kid decided taxicabs were more interesting than buses this time. She spent probably half the opening sitting on the floor of the gallery playing with her cab and her farm friends, blending the new with the known. (Thank you Maria Montessori for such focus.) People just kind of chuckled and walked around her, like she was some kind of performance piece.

And, like her mother, she said she was going to the city to eat! She had her slices and her schmears, of course, but also Italian, Chinese, Thai, "new cuisine," and even bad deli. We had lots of fun.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Welcome home!

As an avowed country mouse, even though I lived about an hour from NYC for most of my life, I've only been there a handful of times. Cities... aack! ;)

(I can sort-of handle Philly & Boston, but only really like Portland, ME)

Dancingfarmer said...

Ahh the accents! I have lived in a variety of places--all with different accents. One of my husband and my favorite is the one from the Michigan area (we have never lived there yet though). Like bobby's mother from the cartoon. It's so happy sounding. Cities are fun to visit, but nice to leave.